Yesterday was Little A's. It was hot and a little bit muggy so my group of kids were easily distracted as it was during our rotation on Discus and then we heard it, the ever-so-faint tinkle of Greensleeves. That can only mean one thing. Mr Whippy has decided to do the rounds. We thought we got off scott free, you could just hear it off in the distance and then it would peter out as he moved further away, then you could hear it again, then you couldn't. I kept exchanging furtive glances with the other Mum who was helping me when we realised that it had stopped fading out and was just getting louder and louder. But we pushed on, calling the kids up to have their next throw. It was only a matter of time before the kids heard it too. Then he pulled up on the street in front of the oval. I looked around and saw that the attention of a few of the kids had shifted to across the road, it was only a matter of time. Then the call came. "MR WHIPPY!!!!!" we'd lost. Mr Whippy had won their undivided attention and soon MrsM and I were alone, dust blowing in our faces from the trail of kids running past to get a better view of his van. Then he did the unthinkable. HE DROVE RIGHT INTO THE SPORTS GROUND!!! At that point hell broke loose. He parked literally 50 yards away and all my under 7's are over at the fence lined up chanting "ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM, ICE CREAM". I looked over at the Under 6's age manager and found it comforting that MrsM and I were not dealing with this alone, her group was also along the fence a bit further up from up. MrsM and I had no other choice but to submit and endure a few minutes of hot, chanting children until he had the good sense to leave. Only then could we finish our last round of discus.
No comments:
Post a Comment