Can only mean one thing (OK so it can mean several things but at this time of year it means only one thing alright!) and that is that it is Back To School time.
Mate and Happy started on Thursday - Mate is in year 4 and Happy is in year 2 this year. Both have been placed with awesome teachers (all the teachers at that school are awesome so it wouldn't have mattered who they got I would have been happy) and Mate is stoked because he is Upstairs this year. Being assigned to a class Upstairs is the holy grail of middle primary school. Apparently all the kids want to be up there - I have no idea why because he came home from school that first day and complained that his legs felt sore to which I replied was from going up and down the stairs LOL. But he's happy so I'm happy. His teacher is a first year out newbie and I used to work with her mother way back before I had kids and she wasn't even halfway through high school, so it's kinda weird when they have a teacher that much younger than you but anyway she is a lovely girl and I think he will have a great year with her.
Happy's teacher has been at the school for a while and she is one of those gentle and kind teachers who really engages the kids, kinda like Miss Honey from Roald Dahl's Matilda. So she is in year 2 and that means that they are the Top Dogs of the Infants section at the school. This year she will do intensive swimming lessons at the end of the year and generally seem all grown up.
Doodlebug will start on Monday and we go from wanting to go to school now to not wanting to go at all - usually when she realises that she wont be able to sleep in or watch ABC Kids. But she's fine, she's ready and most importantly I'm ready. Those with older kids will agree that when you have a child who is going to school for the first time, that when they do their orientation that they just don't seem big enough yet to go to school. They can still have some traits from their toddler years that make you want to keep them home with you forever, but when you are literally only days away from their first day, they all of a sudden grow up and out of any last reminder that not so long ago you were still wiping their bum for them. This has happened with Doodlebug the past two weeks or so. She still sees a speech therapist but the way she has progressed these past few weeks makes me think that our next appointment will be our last. So come Monday I will take the obligatory First Day Photo (which I will duly post here), take her to the IL's for MIL's obligatory First Day Photo and then it is off to school to settle her in and then take off again before I want to take her straight back home with me.....
No comments:
Post a Comment